Who We Are
ARGO is more than the name of a company and the machines we ride: It’s also the culmination of what’s possible when talented, inspired people are set free in a professional workplace with the goal to produce the ultimate extreme terrain vehicles.
From the company’s humble beginnings at its original location in Kitchener, Ontario, to its current three-facility campus in New Hamburg, Ontario, ARGO has always been a place where passion and ingenuity drive new innovations that deliver the next generation of machines.
Many people have made important contributions to the company and it’s machines, and each person can take pride in the impact they made over the past 50 years. ARGO would not be here today without the personnel who dedicated themselves to designing, testing, building and selling the world’s finest off-road vehicles. These are some of those people.
They – and we – are ARGO.
Honesty, mutual respect and commitment are the pillars upon which our business is based. Our pursuit of excellence is to be evident in our actions, our products and our services.
Customer satisfaction is the common goal of all our employees.
We are committed to the continuous improvement of our products and our services.
We believe in the dignity, worth and fair treatment of our employees. We respect our employees as the most important contributors to our success and we foster their personal development through education and promotions from within.
We are committed to our environmental and social responsibilities.
Whether it is for a commercial, governmental/public sector or personal utility application, ARGOs fill the gap between recreational quads and heavy off road equipment. ARGO will climb, crawl or swim anywhere you have to go, with the equipment and tools you need, at a cost you can afford.
ARGO goes where others can’t follow
- 8×8 mobility and strong-but-light construction give ARGOs the low ground pressure and traction to traverse all types of soft and difficult soils including muck, swamp, muskeg and snow
- With their add-on rubber tracks, ARGOs tread as lightly as your own footprint
- ARGOs swim or ford water obstacles with no preparation required to enter or exit
- The integral skid plate and high ground clearance of the ARGO body prevents bottoming out or hanging up on terrain obstacles
Today’s best Static Stability Factor (SSF) means ARGOs are up to four times less likely to roll-over than traditional UTVs
- With the industry’s lowest center of gravity (CG), ARGO vehicles traverse side slopes, grades and obstacles that are inaccessible to other vehicles
- Attachments are designed, tested and engineered to minimize the impact of the Static Stability Factor
- Payloads are low to the ground to maintain stability in motion, even when fully loaded
- The exclusive Admiral triple-differential transmission provides exceptionally smooth steering in constricted areas while maintaining traction on all wheels
In environmentally sensitive areas, ARGOs tread lightly and leave no toxic traces behind
- With ground pressure as low as 1.06 psi, ARGO will cross fragile terrain features with no lasting impact on vegetation and substrates
- ARGO’s fully-sealed body ensures that all engine and mechanical fluids are well contained to avert all soil and water contamination
- The design and placement of the exhaust and electrical systems of ARGO minimize any risk of a fire hazard in dry vegetation
You get more value from an ARGO because you can do more with it
- Optional cargo decks and interchangeable attachments turn the ARGO into a versatile mobile platform for completing heavy duty tasks on the jobsite, farm, fishing camp or hunting lodge
- ARGO’s exceptional terrain capabilities and high altitude performance extends the range of sites and seasons where vehicles can operate productively
- ARGO’s add-on trailer vastly improves “payload per sortie” to carry 6 personnel plus up to 2000 lb 907 kg) of equipment, instruments and supplies
- Choice of diesel or gasoline power fits the available fuel type to suit remote jobsites
ARGO keeps crews and equipment productive in work areas where the only alternative is heavy machinery or air lifts
- ARGOs cost far less than the heavier equipment required for equal off-road mobility; multiple ARGO units less cost than a single off-road hauler
- An ARGO vehicle allows access to the worksite regardless of the remoteness of the location for more work days so high-value crews and equipment earn more every year
- The complete family of ARGO 8×8 extreme terrain and amphibious models provides the right selection to match the needs of local customers and provide operators and rental companies with the right mix of products and accessories for maximized utilization of the fleet.
I feel truly fortunate to have had the opportunity to be at the helm of this unique company for over 25 years. From small beginnings the company has steadily grown, providing an increasing number of jobs and making its contribution to a vibrant economy in the region, the province and the nation.
The most significant contributors to our success have been and continue to be our people. It has been a joy and a privilege to work with such a talented and highly motivated team. I am proud that we are able to provide stable, long-term employment – a rare quality these days. Many of our employees have been part of the family for over 20 years, and some even for over 35 years.
The ARGO, our mainstay product, was introduced in 1967. Even after such a long involvement with this extraordinary machine, the ARGO still holds its magic for me. Over the years I have met many customers who are equally extraordinary. One of them traveled in his ARGO for 1000 miles north on the frozen Hudson Bay. Others, who have lost their mobility due to illness or accident, can still enjoy their outdoors pursuits thanks to the ARGO’s go anywhere capability. In terms of units produced, the ARGO is the world’s most successful amphibious vehicle. After 45 years of continuous improvement and refinement, today’s ARGO and its big brother, the CENTAUR, are better than ever.
Our expertise in building vehicles for extreme conditions has led to an invitation by the Canadian Space Agency and NASA to participate in the development of lunar rovers for future missions to explore the moon and the planets.
Over the past 12 years, by investing in the latest gear manufacturing technologies combined with in-depth training, we have developed ODG’s Gear Division into a world class gear and transmission facility. We offer our customers the benefits of an efficient production and rapid product development combined with a rigorous focus on quality.
We have always taken care to minimize our environmental footprint. This is reflected in our operations that are certified under the environmental ISO 14001 standard and in our products.
After 26 exciting years of running this company, I feel confident to hand over the reins to the next generation of managers to lead Ontario Drive & Gear into a bright future with renewed energy.
Joerg Stieber, Chairman